How to enrol


In Victoria you need to enrol within 21 days since you become eligible to vote. You can enrol if you are 17 and you will be automatically enrolled when you turn 18.

You can enrol to vote if you:

  • are an Australian citizen
  • are 18 or older and
  • have lived in Victoria for longer than a month.

How do I enrol?

There are different ways you can enrol to vote:

The enrolment form applies for federal and any relevant state, territory or local government elections so you only need to enrol once. You will need to update any relevant details, for example, if you change your address.

Special enrolment options

This category applies for people with special needs or with specific circumstances that can affect their enrolment. For example, if you do not have a fixed address. You can check if you meet the criteria and apply to enrol in a special category here.

Do you prefer to enrol in your language?

The Victorian Electoral Commission has enrolment forms available in 20 community languages. You can download the form in your language here and send it by post to Reply Paid 66506 Melbourne VIC 8001 (you do not need a stamp) or by email to

Silent elector

If you think your safety or the safety of your family could be put at risk if your address is made public on the electoral roll, you can apply to be a silent elector. Your name will be shown on the electoral roll, but your address will not. It is strongly recommended that other family members enrolled at your address with the same family name also become silent electors.

If there is an imminent threat to your safety and you need your application to be considered urgently, you can call 1300 805 478.