Who can enrol

To vote in Australia, you need to be enrolled to vote.
This means you go on a list of voters. This is called the electoral roll.

You can enrol to vote at any time if you:

  • are 16 years of age or older (but you cannot vote until you turn 18)
  • are an Australian citizen
  • have lived at your current address for at least a month

You must enrol to vote before the electoral roll closes. For federal elections, this will be one week after the election is announced.

You can check if you are enrolled on the AEC website. Once you are enrolled through the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC), you are enrolled to vote in federal elections and your relevant state, territory and local government elections.

Where you live changes who your representative is, so it is important to update your enrolment whenever you move home.

Do you need a different enrolment for enrolling in my State, Territory or local election?

Enrolment for state, territory and local elections in Australia is easy. It’s the same process as for federal elections.

While the AEC only runs federal elections, completing an AEC enrolment form is applied for federal and any relevant state, territory or local government elections. This can be done online or by a downloadable or in-person paper form.

While the AEC is used for enrolments, check your state or territory electoral commission for information regarding deadlines for state, territory or local elections as each election is different:

New South Wales






South Australia


Western Australia




Northern Territory


Australian Capital Territory


You can also check how to enrol in your state or territory in the next sections of this website.